Re: [RFA]: BOOL coding standards (Was: Problem with +numberWithBool: ?)

From: Pascal J . Bourguignon
Subject: Re: [RFA]: BOOL coding standards (Was: Problem with +numberWithBool: ?)
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 21:48:10 +0100

David Ayers writes:
> I think we are side tracking here a bit.  The issue isn't whether we
> should use "!= NULL" comparison with pointers or similar comparisons
> with non-BOOL types.  I think in general non-BOOL (esp. pointers) should
> use comparisons to attain a BOOL/truth expression to be used in for
> if/while/for evaluation.  The issue is whether non-YES/NO values for a
> BOOL are valid.

I'd say that they're not valid.

    - 100% correct and "conforming" code should not generate BOOL
      values other than in {YES,NO}.

    - 100% correct and "conforming" code should not compare a BOOL
      value, it should test it as: if(bool_value) or
      if([obj isSuchAndSuch]), etc.

    - legacy code could compare a BOOL  value with YES or NO to detect
      "non-conforming" code.

    - the next version should use #define BOOL _Bool

--
__Pascal_Bourguignon__                     http://www.informatimago.com/
There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he doesn't