Re: Keyed Archiving and MOSX compatibility...

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: Keyed Archiving and MOSX compatibility...
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 10:08:46 +0000 (GMT)

> > I think the problem that Gorm, Apple, IB, NIB have is their inability
> > look outside the very strict and religious dogma that the right way to
> > create windows description is by serializing/deserializing the objects.
> > It's not if you want portable interfaces, and it's not if you want to
> > be
> > able to dynamically modify the interfaces.
>
> Well to be fair, Apple is not interested in creating portable
> interfaces with IB ;-)

Exactly - you've hit the problem on the head :-)  Portability is not part
of the design, or if it is, it's a very small part, with
backwards-compatibility being the real driver in the changes they do.

> Anyway, since you seem so convinced, are you working on a GUI builder
> for Renaissance? I ask because even if the concept behind Renaissance
> is better, for real world usage is much worse IMHO as long as there is
> no GUI editor. So what's the plan there?

Yes, you've hit the other main issue directly and clearly - Renaissance
does not have a GUI builder and I'm in serious trouble finding the time to
write one. :-)

But I'd love to write one.  Anyway, I guess the project is now up for
grabs.  Not having the time, I should sadly give up the mutex/lock I hold
on this -- if someone has time/will to start a Renaissance GUI builder (I
got quite a few people interested in doing it in the past), please do
start it. :-)