Re: [Gnustep-cvs] Commit Update

From: David Ayers
Subject: Re: [Gnustep-cvs] Commit Update
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2004 21:07:29 +0200

+       * configure.ac: Detect native exception handler support in the
+       compiler, and set HAS_OBJC_EXCEPTIONS to yes if it's there.
+       * configure: Regenerated.
+       * config.make.in: New variable HAS_OBJC_EXCEPTIONS.
+       * common.make: If HAS_OBJC_EXCEPTIONS is set, add
+       -fobjc-exceptions to the ObjC flags.
+

Hello Nicola,

I'm not sure we want to do this in this way. Mixing -fobjc-exceptions code with old style exception code will most likely cause serious problems. (AFAICT, unlike Apple, we actually use GCC's native exception handling features already where as Apple still does setjmp/longjmp for the new constructs for backward compatibility.) An update in gcc shouldn't require you to recompile everything. I think we should only activate the feature if explicitly requested by the user as a ./configure option.

Or did I miss something?

Cheers,
David