GNUstep base version

From: Adam Fedor
Subject: GNUstep base version
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2004 21:18:15 -0600

Well, I didn't know there were so few choices for library SONAMES. I think we should change the SONAME of gnustep-base due to (probably) numerous interface changes since the 1.0.0 release. However, the only choices I see are

1. Going to version 2.0.0
2. Setting the interface version of the library to 2, which gives:

libgnustep-base_d.dylib@ -> libgnustep-base_d.dylib.1.10.0
libgnustep-base_d.dylib.1.10.0
libgnustep-base_d.dylib.2@ -> libgnustep-base_d.dylib.1.10.0

which might be a tad confusing.

3. Changing the make rules to that the SONAME consists of the major AND minor version.

Any opinions?

I want to release version 1.10.0 or something like that with the new SONAME. My new idea is that bug fixes result in increases in the sub-minor version, and large changes and/or incompatibilities result in an increase in the minor version.