Re: Once more cross compilation

From: BALATON Zoltan
Subject: Re: Once more cross compilation
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 23:35:03 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004, Nicola Pero wrote:
> If you compile gnustep-make with HOST=local-system and TARGET=xxx, and you
> want to use the resulting gnustep-make to compile a package which you want
> to run on xxx, you just have to type
>
> make target=xxx
>
> when you compile.

I see. I assumed that BUILD, HOST and TARGET are used as in autoconf but
it seems it is different with gnustep-make.

> I'm not sure I get your question -- HOST/TARGET variables are only used by

I'm not sure I'm asking the right questions ;-) as it is a long time I had
time to look at GNUstep closely enough.

> Then, to compile for a certain target of the available ones, you just type
> 'make target=xxx'.  If you don't put a target=xxx, gnustep-make by default
> will compile for the local system (that is, for HOST).

OK. In autoconf it is called --host, as --target is only used when
crosscompiling a compiler. (By the way I think --target defaults to --host
in this case.) So with autoconf you would do configure --host=xxx
--target=yyy when crosscompiling a compiler while gnustep-make appears to
have no direct support for crosscompiling compilers. Is this correct?

Thanks for clarification,
BALATON Zoltan