Re: New developers and publicity

From: Alex Perez
Subject: Re: New developers and publicity
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 10:30:22 -0700

address@hidden wrote:
Citát Dennis Leeuw <address@hidden>:

Gregory John Casamento wrote:

<snip>

I agree that we need more publicity.   I disagree, however, with the venue.

I have found slashdot to be a very clique-ish in the sense that the people

there who are in charge of posting articles only do so from certain individuals.

We should find a better venue than slashdot to do our publicity.   Or at
least an alternative one.

In the past I did have good responses from LWN. They posted almost every news item I send them...

Good to know. Can we have a list of news sites where it would be possible to
submint  GNUstep news? Perhaps on wiki:
http://wiki.gnustep.org/index.php/Marketing

On the other hand, I do not quite agree with Gregory that it is better to find
alternative to Slashdot. If you like the site or not or if the people in charge
are nice or not, it does not matter in this case. Slashdot is one of the most
readed, if not the most readed, news site where potential gnustep users can be
found. Therefore the question is not "What are the alternatives?" but "How can
we make Slashdot people in charge submit stories about GNUstep?". Submit
several paraphrased articles at one as alex noted? Or find and contact most
open person from slashdot? Or is there any other way? We need Slashot whether
they like us or not.

Slashdot is just *one* venue to get out word out, and as stefan says, it is by far the largest. What we need is some organization...every *single* time a new version of GNUstep is released, we need to send out release notification articles to all the news sites (osnwes, lwn, slashdot, etc.) and we need to do this with a plethora of sites. If slashdot chooses not to post our article, it's no skin off our teeth. If they notice all the other sites doing it maybe they will pick up the story. I any event, whether or not they carry the story is not as important as whether or not we submit it. We do not have control over whether or not any given news site chooses to post GNUstep news, so the best way to work around that problem is simply send the news to dozens of news sites. Statistics tells us that, eventually, slashdot will start posting our articles. For the time being, we just keep submitting them.

Cheers,
Alex