Re: [Gnustep-marketing] GNUstep Foundation

From: Nicolas Roard
Subject: Re: [Gnustep-marketing] GNUstep Foundation
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2004 07:39:15 +0100

Le 1 oct. 04, à 01:02, MJ Ray a écrit :

> For the very simple reason that the FSF is here to promote the GNU project,
> not the GNUstep project.

> I don't suggest asking them to promote it. You are right that they have other primary concerns and we need our own group to do it.

From the presentation of the FSF Donations page, it is very clear that
they do not want to accept money for anyone other than the FSF itself (and FSF-sanctioned projects like the open source directory and legal defense fund) They don't care about us, and why should they?

They should care/help because GNUstep is part of the FSF's GNU project. I think you are extrapolating too far from that one web page.

they "should" care but they don't. They have enough work of their own, and plenty of others projects to think about..

Plenty of other GNU projects do their own fundraising, and they probably do it that way for a reason...

Who fundraises and how? Even if FSF can handle money, I strongly suggest doing our own fundraising.

... ok... so, you agree that we need our own group for promote GNUstep, and we need to do our own fundraising as well. Instead of doing that individually, it's then quite logical to create some entity to do that. That's why we advocate a GNUstep Foundation.

If nobody really bother to use the FSF for doing the fundraising and the promoting, it's quite logically because FSF and GNUstep has different goals, and the FSF is not architectured to deal with that. Perhaps it could be a good thing to add to the FSF possibilites, but that's not our main concern. And frankly, I prefer to have GNUstep people in charge of that than FSF people not involved in the project.

I really don't understand your problem. You act like this foundation will be totally separated from the project and like the people possibly in charge won't be steppers, and that foundation could take over the project. Frankly, there are simple methods -- if you want to take over GNUstep, fork it -- and of course, the prople of the foundation will be steppers (who else would be interested by such a foundation anyway).

I don't really think we can have worse marketing than what we have now (ie, nothing, and confusion between wmaker and gnustep -- remember last FOSDEM, the number of people that confused windowmaker and gnustep ? I remember asking some people "do you know this project ?" and they told me "oh, yes, it's a window manager, I used to have it as my main wm, are you still working on it ?" ...)

--
Nicolas Roard
 -Arthur C. Clarke