Re: GNUstep-Base and GNUstep-GUI: Frameworks, anyone?

From: Adam Fedor
Subject: Re: GNUstep-Base and GNUstep-GUI: Frameworks, anyone?
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 08:28:15 -0600

On Oct 14, 2004, at 3:33 AM, Alex Perez wrote:

Is there any particular reason why GNUstep-Base and GNUstep-GUI aren't built as frameworks? I have some patches that do this and would like to contribute them. It really cuts down on the messy GNUstep directory structure, since all the resources are inside the frameworks, where they should be.

I've wanted to do that as well - the major reason being versioning of resources as well as the libraries. It makes almost no sense to change the SO name of a library but have no way to separate the resources that the different versions use.

I have a patch for this, as well, for gnustep-back, since bundles aren't versioned at all. Note this still works like the current backend - you can set a user default to load different backends at runtime.