Re: Installation on windows (fwd)

From: David Ayers
Subject: Re: Installation on windows (fwd)
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 14:11:18 +0100

Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:

While my feeling is that the two approaches are fairly evenly balanced
(leaving aside distributed systems, and the fact that we have one system
already working in the libraries, and consideration for the existing
application codebase), I'd like to hear what other people think about the
general prionciples.

FWIW, I believe that the "behind the back" handling (read: implicit conversions) of "\\" to "/" and allowing mixed representations which OPENSTEP for NT has (at least partially), caused us more pain than relief. But this seem like an issue that cygwin and mingw must have also dealt with a lot and maybe we could get some input from there.

If I were to start from scratch I'd probably use the standard POSIX-like representation when dealing with paths yet have some helper methods/functions to explicitly convert NSStrings from/to specific alternative representations to deal with environment variables and such.

I think that supporting distributed systems (which happen not to be discussed here very much for varying reasons) are a very important factor for GNUstep in general and we should insure that can consistently handle such issues.

Cheers,
David