Re: Rendering of fixed-width fonts

From: Adrian Robert
Subject: Re: Rendering of fixed-width fonts
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 09:54:37 -0500

On Mar 16, 2005, at 12:57 AM, Banlu Kemiyatorn wrote:

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 22:12:02 -0700, Adam Fedor <address@hidden> wrote:

On Mar 15, 2005, at 9:57 PM, Adrian Robert wrote:

Ah. Attached is a patch implementing these functions in back-art. ;-)

It modifies the existing DPSshow implementation to handle DPSxyshow,
DPSxshow, and DPSyshow.  Partial support is there for DPSwidthshow.
Right now I just patched ftfont-old.m since that's what I'm using
(freetype-2.1.2), and anyway this patch needs some feedback.

Well, I may have led you astray.  I think we were trying to make these
functions obsolete. Although, I'm not sure why now.  If you find they
make a big speed improvement, I suppose we could reconsider....

It's true that I saw these particular functions (DPS{x,y,xy}show) deprecated in the NSGraphicsContext documentation. I couldn't find indication of why though, either here or on the web relating to DPS in general. But they seem to provide useful functionality that doesn't directly duplicate something else, and are not hard to implement, so why not leave them?

Hmmm, I didn't know any attempt to make DPS functions obsolete
so I keep using them a lot :( BTW, it seems PSops still  working
on OSX last time I tried them on jaguar, but they are buggy and I
have no idea about panther.

I tried this on Panther but I just get "blank" rendering. ;) Or do I need to do something in addition to:

    NSGraphicsContext *ctxt = [NSGraphicsContext currentContext];
    DPSgsave(ctxt);
    [font set];
    [color set];
    PSmoveto(x,y);
    PSshow(txt);
    PSstroke();
    DPSrestore(ctxt);

I also tried throwing a PSflush() in, and anyway the window is flushed later, which works on GNUstep.