Re: GNUstep improvements bounty

From: Sheldon Gill
Subject: Re: GNUstep improvements bounty
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 11:24:40 +0800

address@hidden wrote:
Alex Perez has suggested using some of the funds that GNUstep has (and/or directed donations from individuals) to fund a part-time programmer to improve GNUstep. Some specific projects include

May be we could create smaller bounties for more specific stuff, here are some ideas :

I'd like to add accessibility to the list:
http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Cocoa/Conceptual/Accessibility/AccessibilityCocoa.pdf

I think this going to be an increasingly hot issue for people deploying
applications into regulated environments such as government and
education sectors, in addition to the rather more basic interest in
making GNUstep useful to a diverse user population.

I also think Accessibility is an important addition but it is unfortunately a rather complex topic. {I worked with various special needs in the past and so have more experience with accessibility than most}

The problem is compounded at the moment because there are many different efforts to add better accessibility support to *nix, none of which are reasonably mature.

Further, fully featured support is something that needs to be integrated into the desktop rather than something that can be simply added to -core.

Thus, I don't think it's something we can just add to the list and attribute a bounty to.

However, Accessibility and complex input methods are actually quite closely related topics at the developer level. We can certainly move GNUstep closer to the goal by working on support for diverse input methods. While this is only part of what is required, it does get us closer and gives an immediate benefit of better multi-lingual support which is also needed.

There are probably a few other small specific tasks we can add to the list to prepare a better foundation for this, too.

Regards,
Sheldon