Re: [Gnustep-cvs] gnustep/core/gui ChangeLog Source/NSMenu.m

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: [Gnustep-cvs] gnustep/core/gui ChangeLog Source/NSMenu.m
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 02:27:27 +0200

Fred Kiefer wrote:
> CVSROOT:      /cvsroot/gnustep
> Module name:  gnustep
> Branch:
> Changes by:   Fred Kiefer <address@hidden>    05/06/21 22:48:21
>
> Modified files:
>       core/gui       : ChangeLog
>       core/gui/Source: NSMenu.m
>
> Log message:
>       Corrected handling of screen size for menu.
>
> CVSWeb URLs:
> http://savannah.gnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/gnustep/gnustep/core/gui/ChangeLog.diff?tr1=1.2541&tr2=1.2542&r1=text&r2=text
> http://savannah.gnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/gnustep/gnustep/core/gui/Source/NSMenu.m.diff?tr1=1.128&tr2=1.129&r1=text&r2=text

Sorry for having to reply to my own change mail, but when I woke up this
morning I had second thoughts about the change I made last night. I made
this change in NSMenu as a response to the Debian bug report #315274.
Actually these are two changes, one switches from using [screen frame]
to [screen visibleFrame] (and also from using the main screen to the
actual screen, but this seems still correct) and the other change tries
to correct the reported behaviour of the menu being off screen, when
used on a smaller monitor.
The code for the later change now implicitly sets the menu windows frame
to the stored one (or a scaled version of that, when the screen has a
different size), this could cause a problem if the menu window would be
resizable, as then some menu entries might become unreachable (either
because the screen is smaller or because we have new entries in the
menu). At the moment this isn't a problem as menu windows don't allow
resizing, but it is a hidden dependency, which may break later on. Any
idea, if and what we should do here?

The other change also has a slight problem. The visible frame of the
screen excludes a possible top menu and, if we ever have this, we must
of course position the menu there. Again currently this is a no issue, I
just wanted to state all these potential problems on the mailing list,
so that somebody will be able to dig them up again, when this ever
becomes an issue.

Cheers
Fred