Re: Cairo backend

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: Cairo backend
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2005 23:47:04 +0200

Nicolas Roard wrote:
> On 8/28/05, Fred Kiefer <address@hidden> wrote:
>>Some of you may have noticed that this week the release 1.0 of cairo has
>>been published. For quite some time GNUstep has had a backend based on
>>this graphics library. But this has always been incomplete and also
>>cairo has changed a lot over the months. In the last few weeks I cleaned
>>up the code for this backend and extended it a bit. Basically it is now
>>ready to try it, although many features are still missing.
>
> Wow, excellent news !
>
>>Known limitations:
>>- fonts are still hard coded
>>- text in NSTextView sometimes doesn't get displayed
>>- images are often displayed incorrect
>>- copying from one GState to another uses wrong transformation
>>- some minor operations are missing or untested
>>
>>I hope to solve these problems within the next month and will make a
>>public announcment for the cairo backend after that. If you find other
>>bugs, feel free to report them, or even better help to resolve them.
>
> I'll try to install cairo and test that :-)

I did forget to mention that you have to hack the cairo library for now.
The GNUstep backend uses some cairo functions that are not exported by
cairo. These are:

_cairo_toy_font_face_create
_cairo_scaled_font_text_to_glyphs

What I did to get cairo to export these functions was to redefine
cairo_private in cairoint.h to be empty. I will set up a mail to the
cairo maintainer and ask for a better solution.

Cheers
Fred