Re: The necessity of gdomap and gdnc?

From: Adrian Robert
Subject: Re: The necessity of gdomap and gdnc?
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 09:31:56 -0400

On Oct 25, 2005, at 4:37 AM, Leigh Smith wrote:

So my question is the degree to which gdomap and gdnc are indeed necessary for an application not requiring explicit use of inter- process comms and if NSMessagePortNameServer would address this (since I see NSMessagePorts are explictly excluded on the MinGW port).

Is it, or would it be, possible to build GNUstep's gui with a ./ configure option or use an NSUserDefault to limit notifications and objects to the running GNUstep application and not attempt to connect to the gdomap & gdnc servers and if so, any hints on implementing this?

Hi,

What do other Windows apps typically use for interprocess communication? I know there has been some discussion on this before, but if the current approach is a big stumbling block for deployment, does anyone think this could be pressed into service for some of the DO stuff? I know there is COM et al. which might be too high-level for the socket-com types of things GNUstep does, but maybe there is some protocol that COM uses underneath? For example, I seem to recall gnuclient uses something called 'mailboxes' (which despite the name have little to do with email) to communicate with a running Emacs instance on the WinNT family. This doesn't require any sort of user interaction, though the situation differs from what you are after since Emacs just starts the listener every time it starts up.