Re: The necessity of gdomap and gdnc?

From: Jeremy Bettis
Subject: Re: The necessity of gdomap and gdnc?
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 10:43:22 -0500

IMO that's the wrong thing to do though ... it's a case of throwing the baby out with the bathwater ... rather than disabling all the functionality until the problem goes away, you should be fixing the problem. While some apps may not need cut and paste, drag and drop, to provide services, to interact with a workspace etc these are all features which make for a good general experience.

I think that means ...
1. Implement the NSMessagePort stuff (perhaps windows messages could be used for that). 2. Either implement a distributed notification scheme that doesn't need a server, or work out a way to automatically start/stop gdnc so that users don't need to see it.

I agree with these points, and would like to add in some real world experience.

One of the big problems we had with deploying Next's Openstep on Win32 was those stupid 4 background processes, machd, nmserver, Windowserver, and pbs. None of them should be necessary on windows, and it has a facility for all of those functions already. I think that the Next team was just lazy and reusing code from unix, which was fine for them, but caused us no end of headaches espically when trying to run in weird environments like Citrix or windows terminal server. (where you need 1 machd & nmserver per machine, but 1 windowserver and pbs per user session)

I must admit, I don't use any of the gnustep gui, just base, so I don't even know what gdnc does, however I would never ship any application on windows that needed extra processes like those. There is a "windows" way to do everything, and the windows port is not 100% unless it is doing things the "windows" way.