Re: Gorm/Nib compability progress

From: Sheldon Gill
Subject: Re: Gorm/Nib compability progress
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 09:28:38 +0800

Fred Kiefer wrote:
I am deeply impressed on what you achieved here.

Hear! Hear!

Now I am looking forward to see all this show up in the standard GNUstep
CVS branch.

As are we all.

I just have to add one word of caution. Before we ever change Gorm to
use an XML based format, we should make sure, we have an XML parser for
all environments. Our current one will only work if libXML is present,
which seems to be a problem on Windows. Again in myStep there could be a
solution to this, as hns wrote a simple XML parser for his MIB files. I
hope we are able to integrate this, as soon as the copyright assignment
is sorted out.

I believe, Greg, you've expressed a desire to stay with the .gorm format as preferred for now and I think that is a good way to go. The only reason to move to an XML format would be to support Apple nibs.

Apple will be using XML because it opens the format up for their developers. Ours is already open ;)

libXML compiles and runs on windows (2.6.22) so its looking good. Base detects it and compiles fine. I haven't tested it enough to be happy yet which is why I've not said much about it.

The short form, XML support in GNUstep on Windows is there.

Regards,
Sheldon