Re: Repository change to SVN, Jan 28th

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: Repository change to SVN, Jan 28th
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2006 15:47:01 +0100

Hi Adam,

Adam Fedor wrote:
> I've scheduled the change of repositories from CVS to SVN for next
> Saturday, Jan 28. If you have any reasonably complete changes to
> GNUstep, you should try to commit them to the CVS repository by Friday,
> Jan 27. After that, the CVS repository at gnu.org will no longer be the
> official source code repository for GNUstep.   All future development
> should go to the SVN repository at gna.org (which should be up on the
> 28th sometime).

I am a bit puzzled by this fast transission over to SVN. Looks like
everybody wants to take place, or at least does not oppose it. Still we
should make sure that now that we doing it, it does not interrupt the
GNUstep development to much. For this I would like to see a transission
periode, where the offical GNUstep code is still in CVS, but there is
the same code in SVN to play with. Every GNUstep developer should do a
few test updates during that time and we do the actual move, when we all
feel comfortable with SVN. (I know I should have been practising myself
already, but I didn't)

I also think that with the new possibilities of SVN there come a few
more rules that we need to set up and follow. We expect that SVN will
make it easier to have multiple branches with actual development going
on. Now what will be the rules for merging this branches back into the
main trunk? At work we are using ClearCase and have rather complicated
procedures that have to be followed to make this step save. Something
simpler might be enough for GNUstep. At least all changes from the trunk
need to be merged down first, conficts resolved and the code tested.
Then a review could happen, before the changes get actually merged.

Cheers
Fred