Re: Subversion problems on windows

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Subversion problems on windows
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2006 13:43:16 +0000

On 8 Feb 2006, at 13:14, Andrew Ruder wrote:

On Wed, Feb 08, 2006 at 12:41:43PM +0000, Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:
Mostly this is just a bit annoying (you get a '^M' showing at the end
of each line when editing source code in vi), but it screws up data
files so they don't work.  Any idea how to fix this?

Yes. The svn:eol-native property needs to be removed from the files. I
can do this, but I am curious which data files it is messing up?

I noticed it in the testsuite for the base library ... it caused one of the GSMime tests to fail and one of the property list tests to fail. The property list issues was the worrying one ... it broke because the property list was in unicode (16bit) characters and subversion had converted the two-byte character 0x000a to three bytes 0x00 0x0d 0x0a. I would expect that to render any unicode property lists and other unicode text files unusable on windows.

  But
if none of the files need this property (I was under the impression it
was standard operation with CVS), I will go through and remove them all.

I don't know if it was standard under CVS ... if it was I must have found a way to prevent it happeneing long ago, and then forgotten about it.

My understanding of the svn docs is that individual users can specify (based on file extension) default rules about which files use 'native' line termination if no property is specified in the respository. If that's the case, it would make sense to me to have no properties specifying conversion in the repository, so users can set up their own personal rules. However, as you know, I'm not very familiar with subversion, so it might be best to hold off a little while before changing anything in case someone more knowledgable says this is a bad idea.