Re: libgnustep-base split proposal

From: Helge Hess
Subject: Re: libgnustep-base split proposal
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 12:40:04 +0100

Hi,

one thing which should really should me moved from gstep-base to an own XML library is GSXML.

AFAIK the only place in Foundation which requires XML parsing are XML plists, right? IMHO this should be implemented as a regular libxml2 or probably optionally as an expat SAX handler.
I don't want DOM, XSLT or XPath handling in a base library.

Haven't looked yet in detail, but the same is very likely true for GSMime. Why do we need MIME handling in a base library? Properly doing MIME is probably one of the most complicated things on earth and deserves a completely seperate framework (which we already have at least two of, Pantomime and sope-mime).

I think the reasoning is that MIME is supposed to be necessary for NSURL. Which isn't true, HTTP is *not* MIME even though it reuses some concepts. NSURL also exposes no functionality to parse multipart bodies but can only represent data as NSData entities plus the HTTP header (which again has little to do with MIME parsing, eg no folder, no charset support, etc).

Greets,
  Helge
--
http://docs.opengroupware.org/Members/helge/