Re: Removing all remaining distinction between shared, debug, profile an

From: Adrian Robert
Subject: Re: Removing all remaining distinction between shared, debug, profile and static libs/executables
Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2006 13:11:29 -0400

On Sep 7, 2006, at 12:47 PM, Nicola Pero wrote:

 1. remove the difference between shared_obj, shared_debug_obj,
static_profile_obj, etc. too. Just use './obj' for everything (this is kind of a no-brainer, now that there is no longer any difference in the
installed libraries, can't see any reason to keep a difference while
building!).  Another advantage
is we no longer need a symlink here :-)

This is probably best for simplification as you say but it will impose a cost to switching back and forth between, e.g., profiled and non-profiled versions. With the final library names merged you can still switch between them by doing a new "make install" (which will not require any compilation once you've built both), but merging these build directories means a full recompilation is needed to make the switch. Correct me if I'm missing something. Maybe it's not a big deal since one can do a manual work-around.