Re: gnustep release numbers

From: David Ayers
Subject: Re: gnustep release numbers
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2006 13:46:31 +0200

Helge Hess schrieb:

> I propose a simple modification: Also bump the version after a  release
> so that trunk libs can be identified properly. I would also  suggest to
> use even numbers for releases and odd numbers for trunk.
>
> That is:
> Lets bump the trunk version to 1.15.0 _now_. Next release will be
> 1.16.0 and right after its tagged, we bump trunk to 1.17.0. And so on.

My only addition to this is that instead of tagging from the trunk we
might want to branch and then tag the releases from the branches.

Otherwise I'm fine with this approach as long as people don't care
anymore that SO numbers get bumped even though backward binary
compatibility has not necessarily been broken.  IIRC we have a long
discussion in the archive about not bumping SO numbers unless we know
binary compatibility was broken.

I'm almost indifferent on the subject.  But in practice I believe people
will unknowingly break binary compatibility and forget to bump the SO
name.  I think this is worse than forcing folks to recompile apps just
because the SO name bumped even though it didn't break binary
compatibility.... but like I said.  I wouldn't mind either way.

Cheers,
David