Re: GNUSTEP_INSTALLATION_DOMAIN

From: David Ayers
Subject: Re: GNUSTEP_INSTALLATION_DOMAIN
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 23:33:15 +0200

Richard Frith-Macdonald schrieb:

>>> I agree ... but who decides what are the system packages ?  Not  us. :-)
>>>
>>> It's decided by the packagers. ;-)
>>>

>> Indeed, and I believe this is the core argument.
>>
>> The way I see it is, installing a self compiled -make and -base  into the
>> Local domain (potentially hiding the packager installation in the  System
>> domain) is analogous to installing a self compiled gcc into /usr/local
>> hiding the system gcc (and related libraries like libobjc).
>

> Yes ... it's why I think there should be a distinction made between
> building/installing a package as the maintainter of a distribution  and
> building/installing as a normal user.  In both cases the package  should
> automatically be installed in the correct place.  The normal  case
> should be that you do *not* have to specify where it should go.

Well I think the dispute is based on the perception of the role of the
GNUstep project.  Just like source distributed by the gcc project
doesn't install into /usr but into /usr/local, I don't think it is the
GNUstep's -make/-base/-gui/-back packages prerogative to install into
'System'.

Just like Debian and other OS distributions have their builds setup to
install gcc into /usr, I think it would be a GNUstep distributions
prerogative to install -make/-base/-gui/-back into System.  I.e. if we
hosted a distribution like SimplyGNUstep which provided the build
scripts to build a GNUstep System, then I think it would be that
projects prerogative to set the GNUSTEP_INSTALLATION_DOMAIN in it's
build scripts.

I'm only trying to make myself clear and I'm not on a mission to
convince anyone here who simply has a different view.  So I'll gladly
clarify any misunderstandings but will refrain from further lobbying.

Cheers,
David