Re: Menu Proposal

From: Christopher Armstrong
Subject: Re: Menu Proposal
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 12:32:56 +1100

Fred Kiefer wrote:
I like the original idea, although I currently don't see to much benefit
from it. Perhaps we should have the interface for the new implementation
first, before we get any new code.
I do wish to devise some sort of protocol before I carry out any work. This was meant as a sort of discussion around the issue of different menuing paridigms, and a solution which I think is feasible and doesn't encourage too much breakage. I feel it is necessary as what we current have doesn't allow other menuing paridigms to be implemented as easily, such as those that place a copy of each menu in each document window. Multiple menu views or a menu view in a document window (as opposed to in NSMenuPanel) isn't supported by what we currently have. I admit that I'm not sure how flexible this proposal should be in terms of how much it allows an application writer to change the appearance of their menus.

As for the second mail on NSPopUpButton I totally seem to miss the point
here. What is the problem here? I have been involved in the development
of NSPopUpButtonCell, so I may be blind to the fact that the code here
is "hodge podge".
There is some dependency on NSMenuView for NSPopUpButtons, but it is not to the extent as suggested by the second email on this topic. It is not my intention to completely discard NSMenuView, in fact, I would be looking to reuse it as much as possible. I think we have a pretty clear separation between NSMenu and NSMenuView as it is, but I was hoping to extend it a little further in order to be more flexible.

Cheers
Chris