Theming integration

From: Christopher Armstrong
Subject: Theming integration
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2007 16:04:12 +1100

Hi all

I've downloaded the theming branchg of gnustep-gui from svn in order to
see what is happening with regards to theming. The approach so far looks
promising and pragmatic enough to deal with many kinds of theming, from
tiled images to full class overrides (which wouldn't be easy without
Objective-C).

I'm curious as to know how the GSTheme class will be implemented. Will
it contain the code of Camaelon, so that the default implementation of
GSTheme uses a combination of interface style information, colouring
information and interface tiles? Or will GSTheme contain a default
code-based implementation of a GNUstep "look and feel" such as what is
currently implemented in each control class? How much of Camaelon will
be put into GNUstep?

Will GSTheme provide enough methods so that each control's look and feel
can be completely customised from code i.e. a set of methods for drawing
buttons, a set of methods for drawing menus, a set of methods for
drawing scrollbars etc? I think it is important we provide this a some
theme implementers may have different ideas for how things are drawn.
For example, if I were implementing a theme using code, I wouldn't draw
a menu item as a "button" but instead just as a rectangle or just text.

Also, who is currently working on the theming code integration?

Cheers

Chris
--
  Christopher Armstrong
  carmstrong ^^AT^ fastmail dOT com /Dot/ au