RE: gnustep-make experiment

From: Matt Rice
Subject: RE: gnustep-make experiment
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 06:10:16 -0800

On 2007-01-24 04:17:17 -0800 Nicola Pero <address@hidden> wrote:

attached is just sort of an experiment in getting rid of GNUstep.sh to compile stuff

If you use trunk, you don't need GNUstep.sh to compile stuff ... ;-)

1. add /usr/GNUstep/System/Library/Libraries and /usr/GNUstep/Local/Library/Libraries to /etc/ld.so.conf and run ldconfig

2. add /usr/GNUstep/System/Tools and /usr/GNUstep/Local/Tools to your PATH

3. set GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES=/usr/GNUstep/System/Library/Makefiles

and you're ready to go. Once we use FHS, then libraries and tools will automatically be in your PATHs, so you would need to:

* do nothing to use GNUstep

* set the single variable GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES to compile GNUstep stuff

and you can also easily switch between different installations by using configuration files.

Thanks

PS: investigations are still welcome though ;-)

In that case I still think that pkg-config support would be worthwhile, as GNUstep is then totally isolated theres no way for an external shell script/autoconf to know anything about GNUstep really since GNUstep.conf put anywhere and they can no longer rely on environment variables,

I've come across at least 2 instances of needing the environment variables GDL2 needs to attempt to link to the Gorm libraries to see if it should enable building of the GDL2 Gorm palette and in porting aquaterm, and the gnuplot adaptor for aquaterm, it needs to also look for a lib in the GNUstep heirarchy
to enable that.