Re: FAM based fswatcher - first try

From: Enrico Sersale
Subject: Re: FAM based fswatcher - first try
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 21:27:05 +0200

On 2007-01-24 19:05:01 +0200 Philippe Roussel <address@hidden> wrote:

Hi all

You will find attached a implementation of fswatcher using the FAM
API. It should link either with FAM (1) or gamin (2), which are
available on different flavors of unix. The goal is to take advantage
of existing facilities and getting rid of timers. FAM and gamin use
kernel helpers to avoid polling when they can.

The code probably has some bugs and I'm not sure I followed exactly
the different notifications semantics but it's a start. I tested it
with GWorkspace and it seems to work well.

Opinions ?

The original fswatcher doesn't create a new Watcher object if there already is one for a
path beeing added; it adds only a "listener", that is, it increments a counter.
When, removing all listeners, the counter becomes 0, the Watcher object is removed from
the watchers array.

Philippe

NB : fswatcher parameter '--daemon' results in the opposite, or I am
missing something ?

'--daemon' is not intended to be used from the command line; it is only an
internal way to create a daemon using only NSTask instead of fork(); many
GNUstep daemons does this; gdnc, gpbs, etc.

1 - http://oss.sgi.com/projects/fam/
2 - http://www.gnome.org/~veillard/gamin/