Re: Use of libobjc from gcc 4.1 with MinGW

From: Helge Hess
Subject: Re: Use of libobjc from gcc 4.1 with MinGW
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 15:30:02 +0100

On Mar 22, 2007, at 14:47, Xavier Glattard wrote:
An other stupid question :
why dont link _only_ gnustep-base to a static libobjc ?

Because your Objective-C code needs to access functions contained in libobjc?

So you would not had multiple objc runtime !

In theory the gnustep-base.dll could contain the libobjc, but then it would need to expose the libobjc API in its DLL wrapper AND you would need to tell all your makefiles that they don't need to link libobjc.

And you would need to tell gcc/ld *not* to link libobjc automatically. This could be the hardest part since internal libraries of GCC have weird lookup hacks in the compiler (-L has different semantics).

I don't think its a good idea to embed libobjc into gnustep-base. Though I'm not 100% sure ;-)

Helge
--
Helge Hess
http://www.helgehess.eu/