Re: Release Policy

From: Adam Fedor
Subject: Re: Release Policy
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2007 21:25:02 -0700

On Nov 8, 2007, at 5:19 PM, Stefan Bidigaray wrote:

On Nov 8, 2007 1:07 PM, Adam Fedor <address@hidden> wrote:
On a related note.  It appears that the gui release will rely on base
 >= 1.15.1

So what does that mean? Does gui 0.13.0 not work with base 1.14.1? (Just saw the new Library Compatibility page on the wiki, so yes) If that's the case, I don't think it's a good idea keeping things the way they are then. I generally make the Slackware packages that are on the FTP and what this current policy means to people packaging GNUstep is that they HAVE to follow GNUstep unstable no matter what since if you want to have a complete GNUstep environment you need base + gui.

I haven't tested it myself, but I would guess at the least you would see some compiler warnings. And perhaps a few coding methods would not work (although it appears they would not work in the previous release either, so perhaps that doesn't matter). I could try to backport changes that are ABI compatible to the 0.12.0 branch, but as the last release was over 6 months ago, that would be a lot of work. I think we just need to get into the habit of releasing more often so perhaps it would not be so much work.