Re: Including compilation of objc enabled gcc in test-gnustop script ?

From: Adam Fedor
Subject: Re: Including compilation of objc enabled gcc in test-gnustop script ?
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 08:48:27 -0700

On Dec 11, 2007, at 3:25 PM, T.J. Yang wrote:

Question is can we put in effort for better automation experience when try to startup gnustep environment ? if needed objc gcc is not installed, why not just compile it using apple's gcc ? This is true for other Unix OS (solaris,opensolaris,hp-ux and AIX etc...) also.

knowing compiling gcc is not a small task, but without a gcc with objc support, gnustep compilation can't proceed.

Is there other gnustep persion willing to contribute a version gcc source that can be compiled on emac ppc using gcc version 4.0.1 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 5367) ?

Well, installing a compiler is a big deal - I don't really want to include it in the gnustep-startup distribution for the few cases where someone might want it. And where would it be installed?

The apple gcc compiler just does not work with gnustep. There are several reasons, and sometimes they change between OS X releases and no one has really put in the effort to fix it. There are lots of places to get the FSF gcc compiler for Mac OSX. either fink or darwinports/macports would probably work.