Re: GPLv2 licensing issues

From: Hubert Chathi
Subject: Re: GPLv2 licensing issues
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 15:40:16 -0400

On Thu, 10 Apr 2008 21:16:16 +0200 Fred Kiefer <address@hidden>
wrote:

> I am still not sure whether this problem actually exists. As far as I
> understand the GPL it only transfers to libraries that are statically
> linked to it. GNUstep base, gui and back (normally) get linked
> dynamically and to my understanding this should not cause any
> problem. But I surely am no expert on this matter.

I believe that the FSF doesn't draw any distinction between static and
dynamic linking.  And I think that's probably the best way to treat the
matter; otherwise, you have a fairly trivial workaround to link
proprietary software against GPLed software.

> It also may be different for the objc runtime, again not sure how you
> normally link it in. And of course application linking with GPLv2
> libraries will need a detailed inspection.

I don't know if the exact method of linking does (or should) matter.

--
Hubert Chathi - Email/Jabber: address@hidden - http://www.uhoreg.ca/
PGP/GnuPG key: 1024D/124B61FA   (Key available at wwwkeys.pgp.net)