Re: GNUstep on 64 bit Windows

From: Roland Schwingel
Subject: Re: GNUstep on 64 bit Windows
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 09:52:10 +0200

Hi Richard...

Thanks for your reply!

Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote on 24.10.2008 08:04:19:
> > [...]
> First, thanks very much for offering to provide these patches ... I > think adding windows 64bit support would be great.
>
> The best way to manage patches is to add them to the GNUstep patch > manager at https://savannah.gnu.org/patch/?group=gnustep
>
> Patches should conform to the GNU/GNUstep coding standard (match the > style of indentation, whitespace usage, brackets positioning, comments > positioning etc) already used in base.
>
> Patches should be reasonably small/localised, so that applying a patch > does not break anything and a patch can easily be reviewed.

Of course we will try to keep the patches as small as possible
and to conformant as possible to make applying them as easy as possible...

> Unfortunately I don't own a copy of 64bit windows, so I can't test > windows 64bit changes, but GNUstep-base is 64bit clean generally, so > changes for 64bit windows should generally be localised to windows > specific code, and I can test that they don't break the windows 32bit > code.
Of course the code MUST run on 32bit as well, we want to use gnustep
still on 32bit systems, too! So we will do a lot of regression testing using
32bit gcc 3.2.2

The mingw-w64 toolchain compiler is currently based on gcc 4.4. We need
4.4 because most patches we made are already integrated in this upstream version. Many things come from general gcc 4.4 changes regarding warnings. gcc 4.4 is much more strict on types than older versions. So the changes we do here will make GNUstep more clean in this respect on every platform. Changes regarding gcc 4.4 type checking are at present not only in mingw area, but if you don't adress it you can't see a real problem because of this big amount of warnings emitted by
the new gcc.

I am out the whole next week, but I think I will send off the first things the week
after.

Roland