Re: NSPropertyListSerialization fails with OpenStepFormat on OSX

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: NSPropertyListSerialization fails with OpenStepFormat on OSX
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2008 22:41:51 +0100

David Wetzel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> this:
>
>   NSData   *plistData = nil;
>   NSString *error;
>   NSString *fmt;
>
>   plistData = [NSPropertyListSerialization dataFromPropertyList:plist
>
> format:NSPropertyListOpenStepFormat
>                                                errorDescription:&error];
>
> fails:
>
> Save failed: Could not create file:
> /private/tmp/newstuff.eomodeld/Address.plist -- Property list
> format kCFPropertyListOpenStepFormat not supported for writing
>
> That disables exchange with older EOModeler programs.
> Which is in turn incompatible.
>
> Possible solution:
>
> add [+NSPropertyListSerialization
> dataFromPropertyList:format:errorDescription:]
> to base-additions, call the Apple implementation if format !=
> NSPropertyListOpenStepFormat
> if code runs on Apple.
>
> What do you think?

>From the name of the format in the error message I gather that you are
complaining about an Apple bug here. Is this correct?

What I cannot understand is your proposed solution to this problem. We
should replace the method in the GNUstep extensions, but still call the
Apple version of the same method in some cases? There may be way to do
this, but this is clearly a dangerous proposal.
Wouldn't it be easier to just convert property lists written on new Macs
to be used on old installations of EOModeler? GNUstep should be able to
do that conversion.

Fred