Re: CYGWIN Problems

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: CYGWIN Problems
Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2008 18:33:33 +0100

Hey Darryl,

GNUstep on c ygwin is currently not functional anymore, although there has
been discussion to revive it.

The current preferrred way to have GNUstep on windows is to use mingw. We
have an adapted version of MinGW which installs together will all the
necessary dependencies and comes with a practical windows installer, you can
download it from our site.

It comes with a core and a system installer, one is the mingw base runtime
with debugger, basic mingw, compiler and all requried dependencies, the rest
is the core gnustep system. It comes with no applications, which you can
easily install yourself as you would on a unix system.

You can also update the core gnustep system easily.

Using mingw, GNUstep applications run drawing the Win32 API and GDI, thus
they are essentially native in the working, but not in the look, which is
the same as on unix. It does not reqwuire X11 however.
GNUstep on windows is currently usable, but it is not exactly on par with
the standard experience on the major unix system. I have successfully
compiled and sued several applications though.

The development tools themselves to work, PRICE does work and most of the
GAP user applications do work, not the system ones though, due to the lack
of some system calls in mingw.

Have a nice hacking,
   Riccardo