Re: NSMenuItem and NSValidatedUserInterfaceItem

From: Quentin Mathé
Subject: Re: NSMenuItem and NSValidatedUserInterfaceItem
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 11:48:24 +0100

Le 6 janv. 09 à 06:12, Richard Frith-Macdonald a écrit :

On 5 Jan 2009, at 21:15, Fred Kiefer wrote:

This seems to be one of the possible solutions, another one would be to
eliminate the usage of the protocol all together and have all the
methods on NSMenu deal with NSMenuItems, just as Apple did it. I am not
sure which solutions I would prefer. Anybody out there with a strong
opinion?

Not a strong one, but I agree with you. The protocol was not an original part of OpenStep but a later add-on which turned out to not be very useful and was removed again. I don't see a lot of point trying to keep it. However I know that Etoile has played with alternative menu systems and it may be that they use it, so it would be good to check that.

Yes. We don't use NSMenuItem protocol yet, but I have a use in mind for one of our framework class, so it could prove to be useful for us in future. That's why I would prefer to have NSMenuItem protocol not removed. If it prove to be not so useful, I'll let you know.

Cheers,
Quentin.