Re: Localization of GNUstep strings

From: Philippe Roussel
Subject: Re: Localization of GNUstep strings
Date: Mon, 02 Mar 2009 14:24:09 +0100

Le lundi 02 mars 2009 à 13:56 +0100, Fred Kiefer a écrit :
> address@hidden wrote:

> > Here's my first take on a French.lproj.
> > Answering to myself, yes utf-8 is an option and that's what I used. You just
> > have to had the 3 bytes marker at the beginning of the file (and that's ugly
> > imho).
> >
> > Gorm panels of gnustep-gui (and maybe something else) need to be translated
> > too
> > I guess. Can you give me a hint on how to do that ?
> >

> Thank you for starting on this. There are quite a lot of non-translated
> strings left in the file. Should I commit it anyway or are you planing
> to add these as well?

Yes, I plan to translate all strings when I get time but I wanted to
know if I was on the right track before continuing. Is the utf-8
encoding is ok with you ?

> You always should run the make_strings command multiple times. For me it
> found additional strings during these extra runs. It will also sort the
> newly translated entries.

Ok, good to know.

> Translating the panels is easy, just copy the directory
> Panels/English.lproj and then load the panels in it one by one into
> Gorm, translate the texts and do any other changes your language
> requires and store them. Maybe I should do that for German to show the idea.
> Ignore the gmodel files in the Panels directory, these are unused and
> need to be replaced by gorm files. Yes, we really should implement all
> panels via gorm or NIB files now. I would prefer NIB files as key value
> coding allows for easier extension.

That's bad. Even if tranlating the strings is the only modification to
be done, you have to copy the whole gorm file ? Why can't it use
Localizable.strings ?

Philippe