Re: NSSound Reimplementation

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: NSSound Reimplementation
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 19:14:21 +0100

On 16 Jul 2009, at 18:34, Riccardo Mottola wrote:

Hi,

Sorry, I just haven't had a chance to look at installing a new/ different compiler and working with that yet, though it really IS something I'd like to be playing with.

However, it doesn't really have any bearing on this issue because we have to develop code for the existing compiler and will need to do so as long as we continue to support it (gcc).

Yes, I remember a caveat: that was it, no gcc support. As a GNU project I'd be quite waey to drop gcc support.

As a GNU project, I'd hope that the GNU compiler collection would put some effort into supporting us! Someone at Apple sent them patches for supporting declared properties over a year ago, and yet GCC still does not support any of the extensions added in OS X 10.5, which was released two years ago.

Snow Leopard is going to make heavy use of blocks and declared properties in the API, and if we want to remain compatible, we are going to need a compiler that supports these. It would be really great if GCC would, but I have yet to see any evidence that anyone is still actively working on Objective-C support in GCC. In the last two years, Clang has gone from having no Objective-C support to supporting most of Objective-C 2 on the GNU runtime, while GCC has not gained a single new Objective-C feature.

As for testing the patch, clang is not available as a package in gentoo, thus I was too lazy to install it in another way. This also marks the diffusion of clang up to now though.

Building clang from source is pretty trivial. It is the system compiler for FreeBSD 8 and is in packages for a number of Linux distributions and Free/OpenBSD. Not sure about Solaris. Clang 1.0 is being released with the next LLVM release (2.6, due in September).

David