Next steps for NSSound

From: Stef Bidi
Subject: Next steps for NSSound
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 13:37:35 -0400

So as most of you know by now I added a new NSSound implementation to GNUstep SVN last weekend.  Beside the initial problems, which as far as I can tell were able to worked around, I haven't heard much complaints.  I had already gotten some feedback from David C. when I posted the code up on Etoile's code review page, and have his comments/suggestions in mind.

With that in mind, I think it's time to start moving onto enhancing the implementation.  David already added an OSS bundle.  And since I have not gotten any bug reports at this point (I've been monitoring the gnustep-bug mailing list) I'll start working on reading WAV and AU/SND files without the need for a backend.  I've decided to stay away from AIFF/AIFC simple because of the 80-bit float that is used for the sampling rate.  Seeing as the sounds added to GNUstep are in WAV format, I think those two will be enough for now.  Should not take me very long to get this up since I've been playing with reading them for a while already.

I also plan on implementing a ALSA bundles, and later one for Windows.

In the meanwhile, I'd really like to know what people think of the code so far?  Also, if you're having any problem compiling.

Thanks
Stefan