Re: Changes I've been thinking of...

From: Philippe Roussel
Subject: Re: Changes I've been thinking of...
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2009 10:26:00 +0200

On Thu, Oct 08, 2009 at 02:08:35AM +0200, Riccardo Mottola wrote:
>> There are multiple terminal applications (gap, backbone, etoile ?) but
>> none really usable (to my knowledge, maybe I missed something).
>>

> These are harsh words? I don't know of etoile, but the one in GAP works.
> I use it every single day! It may miss some features but works. ANd I
> assume backbone's does too, the code bae is essentially the same, but
> the philosophies about releases, makefiles etc. differ.

Ok, I went too far, Terminal works. But I doesn't answer to
'Terminal/Open shell here' service needed by GWorkspace for example.
Running midnight commander inside it is... interesting. But yes, it
works as a terminal for most things. Sorry :o)

>> There is Preferences and SystemPreferences.
>>

> It is lecit to have more applications that do similar things! Happens on
> windows too... SystemPreferences is from Enrico, it is Apple compatible.
>
> Preference's is more limited in the UI, has different modules but looks
> better :)

Don't get me wrong : I'm not opposed to multiple applications having
the same goal. I just think the GNUstep project should select a set of
applications and promote them as the minimal environnement. If I want
to add a settings module, should I add it to Preferences,
SystemPreferences or both ? Not necessarily a big deal but it might be
confusing for users.

Philippe
--
If nested functions are answer, you've got the wrong question. Al Viro