Re: [flame] NEWS file is useless

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: [flame] NEWS file is useless
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2009 11:08:01 +0000

So I guess the solution to that would be instead to require ChangeLog entries to be committed to svn log.

By the way, presumably we'd still include the author of the change in the subversion commit message ? Ie, we write a full ChangeLog entry including the author at the beginning ?

The reason is that when we receive patches, the committer is often *not* the author of the patch, only the reviewer. With ChangeLog entries you can see who is the author of the patch, regardless of who did the actual commit. (and occasionally, some changes simply have two or more authors - again in ChangeLogs you just list multiple
authors, while subversion logs can only record the committer)

I'm personally not too convinced. I guess it must be because I don't use any tools based on subversion logs
so I don't see a particular benefit.  Anyway, we can change things.

Thanks