Re: Interesting discussion on gcc about objc

From: Andrew Pinski
Subject: Re: Interesting discussion on gcc about objc
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 10:40:17 -0700

On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 9:23 AM, Pete French <address@hidden> wrote:
> In practical terms that stance doesn't exactly lead to us ending up with
> a good complier though does it? Clang is a v.good compiler, and is being
> maintained. Not supporting it is rather biting off our nose to spite
> our face, especially if GCC isn't interested in supporting ObjC anymore.

Well GCC is interested in Objective-C except we don't have anyone
really working on it.  That is the biggest issue right now.  We want
to support it; trust me.  If someone would step up to the plate and do
the supporting work, we will keep it.  The biggest issue is that Apple
had stepped up to the plate and then disappeared to go do clang
because of politics due to GPLv3.  Since GNUStep is a GNU project I
think we should support GPLv3 friendly companies/projects before we
give in to ones that don't want to even want to look at GPLv3 code.

Thanks,
Andrew Pinski