Re: Last change in NSMenuView.m

From: Germán Arias
Subject: Re: Last change in NSMenuView.m
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 13:58:13 -0600

On lun, 2011-01-24 at 08:52 +0100, Wolfgang Lux wrote:
> Hi Germán,
>
> I like the idea of opening menus to the left rather than the right --
> but only for the Windows 95 and Macintosh interface styles. I'd also
> suggest a slightly different scheme: Open submenus to the right of the
> super menu unless there is not enough space on the right side. In that
> case start opening submenus on the left of their parent until the
> screen fills (indeed, this is how menus work on OS X).

In fact,this patch have some problems. But the idea is avoid the ugly
behavior when the transient menu is displayed near of right border. In
other hand, if we start displaying the submenus to the right, and
suddenly we display one submenu at the left (this mean we have a submenu
displayed above a previous submenu), for some reason this submenu can't
respond. The submenu that respond is the one that is below this. And I
don't have idea about what is the problem here.

> The change to open menus with their bottom at the mouse cursor looks
> less convincing to me. The real problem with menus is that the gui
> blindly expects the window manager to place menus at the intended
> position and simply ignores information from the backend when the
> window manager has decided to place the menu differently. Rather than
> fixing the problem, your patch just alleviates it by reducing the
> chance that the window manager interferes with the gui's placement.
>
> > Try the patch, add changes, discuss the code or apply it. Regards.

Are you saying that the mouse should be moved to a new position? the
correct position of course. Instead remain at the initial position?