Re: [patch #7470] Fix mouse behaviour in Windows 95 and Macintosh menu s

From: Christopher Armstrong
Subject: Re: [patch #7470] Fix mouse behaviour in Windows 95 and Macintosh menu styles
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2011 15:14:45 +1100

Hi Fred

I agree that the capture mouse behaviour does seem extreme, but it is
the only way that you can implement reliable popup menus (on X11 and
Windows, although I haven't tested the latter). As far as I know, there
is no other method to receive clicks outside your window except for
grabbing the mouse (and this makes sense, as applications shouldn't be
receiving events outside their set of windows). Even the grabbing method
that we are using isn't the best but it should be enough to prevent the
common set of problems.

I don't know about the periodic event stopping code. It doesn't seem to
cause problems for me. I could take a closer look, but there is probably
a reason for it (even if it isn't documented yet). The only issue I have
with this method is that it chews alot of CPU time.

Would you please commit this for me if you're okay with it now, as I
don't have committer access (I do have GNU copyright assignment though).

Thanks
Christopher Armstrong

--
  Christopher Armstrong
  carmstrong ^^AT^ fastmail dOT com /Dot/ au