Re: Thread question

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Thread question
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2011 09:28:36 +0000

On 7 Mar 2011, at 09:04, Philippe Roussel wrote:

> Hi
>
> Le samedi 05 mars 2011 à 17:06 +0000, Richard Frith-Macdonald a écrit :
>
>> I added a configure-time check in gnustep-base to detect objc runtime
>> libraries which don't support +initialise properly and warn about them.
>> I also added a run-time alert to be printed if a program becomes
>> multithreaded and configure had detected that the runtime library was not
>> thread safe.
>
> Is this test supposed to pass with libobjc2 trunk ?

It's supposed to pass with any runtime which supports +initialize properly, but
I haven't tested all the different runtimes to see which do .... but I know the
old gnu runtime was buggy and that the gnustep libobjc in trunk ought to be OK
since I applied the patch I submitted to gcc a few years back.  I'm not
entirely happy with that patch (I've never found time to clean it up properly),
but it's better than nothing, and I've been running code using it for a couple
of years.

The configure check is a new check, so it's probably not bomb-proof... It
certainly won't work without pthreads support ... but since we now require
pthreads to build base, this should not be a problem