Re: installing on Cygwin

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: installing on Cygwin
Date: Fri, 6 May 2011 19:35:36 +0200 (CEST)

> The alternative is to go through gnustep-make rewriting everything
> to handle paths/filenames with spaces, and possibly then go through
> all makefiles everywhere doing the same.

It's not that easy.  The make grammar uses whitespace in a way that doesn't
allow easy workarounds.  Whoever designed it originally clearly didn't conceive
the idea that filenames could contain spaces.  Based on some experiments I
did a few years ago, I would go as far as saying that there is no workable,
practical workaround unless we modify GNU make itself in some way. :-(

And we could modify GNU make itself :-), but figuring out exactly what to do,
and then doing it, is a project in itself ... and it doesn't seem that urgent.
Anyhow, if you think it's really urgent and important, let me know.

Thanks