Re: Moving the bug system to GNA....

From: Gregory Casamento
Subject: Re: Moving the bug system to GNA....
Date: Mon, 23 May 2011 10:27:42 -0400

Banlu,

Given that real-life users have complained to me that having the
project essentially split in two being confusing not withstanding....

I don't agree with your assessment that it will make things harder.

I simply would like to have things in one place.   Right now we're
spread between GNA and Savannah.   Hell, it may even be easier to move
the source back to savannah.   But at that point I'm agreeing with
Fred that I would rather see any time put into this spent actually
fixing bugs.

I simply suggested it because I thought it might make things easier
for new developers who don't have a clue where everything is and are
trying to understand the GNUstep ecosystem.   Do yourselves a favor...
 pretend you're a new user someday and take a look at how things are
set up presuming that you don't have the historical knowledge that you
do about the project.   Or better yet, find a friend who knows nothing
about GNUstep and ask them to spend a few minutes trying to figure out
where everything is and how to navigate the project to get started
helping us to develop it.

I think you'll be unpleasantly surprised to find out that GNUstep is
not as easy to get into as it could be and that this forms a barrier
to entry.  When I worked with a company out in Illinois, one of the
devs there was very interested in GNUstep.   He said that the sites
are confusing and that it's not immediately apparent where to find
everything.  Also he said that GNUstep itself was difficult to
configure because the dependencies are poorly documented.   It took an
experienced developer three days to figure GNUstep out with a little
help from me.

I found this to be surprising and disheartening.   If we really care
about getting new developers and revitalizing this project, then some
changes need to happen.  Not necessarily this one, but changes
nonetheless.

GC