Re: ObjC2 includes

From: Eric Wasylishen
Subject: Re: ObjC2 includes
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2011 01:26:29 -0600

On 2011-07-15, at 11:34 PM, Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:

> On 15 Jul 2011, at 22:01, Stefan Bidi wrote:
>
>> So... what is the correct way?  My version of libobjc doesn't include a
>> <objc/runtime.h>, and apparently <ObjectiveC2/runtime.h> isn't available
>> everywhere.

As far as I know, on GNUstep at present there's no portable way for
applications/libraries to include runtime.h specifically, due to the two
possible directory prefixes. If you include Foundation/Foundation.h, you'll get
the right runtime.h included as a side effect, though. (But not on OSX)

> As  understand it, the 'standard' (ie as provided by OSX) is to include
> runtime.h for using  the ObjC2 API.

On OSX, you use #include <objc/runtime.h>.

> In both cases, your headers include runtime.h ... and your build flags
> (-I...) specify the location of the runtime.h file on your particular system.

GNUstep make doesn't support that now though, does it? If you wrote
appliactions / libraries that used #include <runtime.h>, it would also require
tweaking to get them to build on OS X.

I wonder if it would be possible to have the ObjectiveC2 compatibility
runtime.h be installed in such a way that #include <objc/runtime.h> picks it up?