Re: [Gnustep-cvs] r33837 - in /libs/gui/trunk: ChangeLog Source/GSThemeM

From: Germán Arias
Subject: Re: [Gnustep-cvs] r33837 - in /libs/gui/trunk: ChangeLog Source/GSThemeMenu.m
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2011 12:21:11 -0600

On mar, 2011-09-13 at 10:36 +0200, Fred Kiefer wrote:
> On 13.09.2011 03:45, � wrote:
> > Author: espectador
> > Date: Tue Sep 13 03:45:13 2011
> > New Revision: 33837

> > Log:
> > Improvements to menu in window
> >
> > Modified:
> >      libs/gui/trunk/ChangeLog
> >      libs/gui/trunk/Source/GSThemeMenu.m
>
> This patch looks like just another one in the long list of horrible
> changes to support in-window menus. Not that this patch helps in any
> way, it just keeps the impression that in-window menus are working up a
> bit more. If I understand it correctly, this patch is trying to replace
> the Windows sub menu whenever the menu gets set again on a window. What
> is the point of this? All the other menu and sub menu entries might just
> change as much as the Windows sub menu. Why add any special handling
> here? If you are really interested in in-window menus, which I am not,
> then you should start to look for real solutions, which would be the
> decoupling of NSMenu and NSMenuView, and not just add another layer of
> hacks to the code.
>
> Why can't the people interested in in-window menus form a special
> interest group. Discuss possible solutions and then come back with a
> proper proposal to implement this, instead of making random changes to
> the gui classes?
>
> Sorry, I know this isn't a polite way of putting this, but the in-window
> menu code has annoyed me a lot already and I really regret adding that
> possibility at all into gui.
> As I stated before, I am even willing to help to develop a concept here.
> What I don't want to do is maintain all these hacks in gui.

If we will have one menu per window. Then when a new window is opened,
we need reflect this change in all menus. Currently NSApp just add the
new item in the main menu, but since there are only one main menu at
each moment. The other menus are forgot. I know there are other
solutions. But in this change I don't wanted touch NSApplication class
(or other NS class). So I decided copy the menu.