Re: Next GNUstep release?

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: Next GNUstep release?
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2011 23:51:29 +0100

Hi,

Fred Kiefer wrote:
To scale this discussion down a bit. The only thing that currently stops
you from using an older version of gcc. Is the GCC_VERSION variable in
the Version file of base. I am not aware of any specific change that
would deliberately break older compilers. It is just that we don't
officially support them any more. There is nothing stopping you to
change that variable and try to use GNUstep with an older version of
gcc. What we wont do is process bug reports that result out of such tests.
Sounds fine. I shall do some builds.

As for releasing gui and back for the last base release, we just missed
the point to do so. It would have been possible right after the last
base release, but now the code in gui is only tested with the SVN
version of base and although I am again not aware of anything that
changed in base that is required by gui, it is left to daring users to
really test this. What we should aim for is to have a set of modules
that work together. If the gui version also works well with an older
base version, fine.
Well, but we didn't release back then... it becomes a bit inconsistent.
Perhaps we should do some tests against the past base release

So far there has been only Riccardo's reply whether there should be a
release at all. Those this mean we shouldn't do a shared release now?
Then we could thing about just a gui/back release, which shoudl make
Riccardo happy.
I do wonder indeed. Perhaps we are too busy arguing about gcc compatibility that we are missing the original point of the thread.

Riccardo