Re: Building libobjc2 on FreeBSD 9.1 with clang 3.2 using cmake fails

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: Re: Building libobjc2 on FreeBSD 9.1 with clang 3.2 using cmake fails
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2013 10:56:26 +0100

On 14.03.2013, at 02:15, David Chisnall <address@hidden> wrote:

Hi Marcus,

I find that strange, as FreeBSD 9.1 is the platform where I develop libobjc2…

Ok. I've gradually updated my system via /usr/src over the years starting from FreeBSD 5.x to 9.1. I'm probably missing some flags in /etc/make.conf which prevent things from going smoothly, but I'd really like to sort things out (see below).

Can you give me the output from the cmake command?

address@hidden:(~/Projects/GNUstep/libobjc2/Build)$ CC=clang CXX=clang++ cmake ..
-- The C compiler identification is Clang 3.2.0
-- The CXX compiler identification is Clang 3.2.0
-- Check for working C compiler: /usr/local/bin/clang
-- Check for working C compiler: /usr/local/bin/clang -- works
-- Detecting C compiler ABI info
-- Detecting C compiler ABI info - done
-- Check for working CXX compiler: /usr/local/bin/clang++
-- Check for working CXX compiler: /usr/local/bin/clang++ -- works
-- Detecting CXX compiler ABI info
-- The ASM compiler identification is Clang
-- Found assembler: /usr/local/bin/clang
-- Warning: Did not find file Compiler/Clang-ASM
-- Using /usr/lib/libsupc++.so as the C++ runtime library
-- Looking for include file pthread.h
-- Looking for include file pthread.h - found
-- Looking for pthread_create
-- Looking for pthread_create - not found.
-- Looking for pthread_create in pthreads
-- Looking for pthread_create in pthreads - not found
-- Looking for pthread_create in pthread
-- Looking for pthread_create in pthread - found
-- Found Threads: TRUE
-- GNUstep install type set to LOCAL
-- Configuring done
-- Generating done
-- Build files have been written to: /home/znek/Projects/GNUstep/libobjc2/Build

libcxxrt shipped in 9.1 - I'm using it there (it's in /usr/src/lib/libcxxrt if it isn't installed by default, but I think it is).  I do have something in my libmap.conf telling everything that tries to use libsupc++ to use libcxxrt, but that's just for testing libcxxrt.

I think I've found the problem. By default, libcxxrt isn't built. According to /usr/src/lib/Makefile:

.if ${MK_LIBCPLUSPLUS} != "no"
_libcxxrt=      libcxxrt
_libcplusplus=  libc++
.endif

But in /usr/src/share/mk/bsd.own.mk:
MK_LIBCPLUSPLUS?= no

I've put MK_LIBCPLUSPLUS = yes in /etc/make.conf now.

After installing libcxxrt, cmake properly picks it up and compiling libobjc2 succeeds.
I guess that means that the build is currently really broken when falling back to using libsupc++ (the one shipped with 9.1).

Cheers,

  Marcus

--
Marcus Müller  .  .  .  http://www.mulle-kybernetik.com/znek/