Re: Archiving tests...

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: Archiving tests...
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2013 23:49:32 +0100

On 22.03.2013 20:58, Gregory Casamento wrote:
I think putting tests in GUI for archiving is important since the point is
not so much to test the archiver itself but that the GUI classes are,
indeed, archiving themselves in a way which is universal for all platforms.

Agree

GUI classes not saving themselves correctly was the issue which prompted
doing another release since there were bugs in some GUI classes where a
type of the wrong size was being encoded.  Having these tests would help to
eliminate the possibility of this happening.

No, it was not the wrong size. The problem was that different compilers seemed to store enumerated values either as signed or as unsigned and that could only be detected by using cross platform archives.

...Slightly off topic...

This discussion also makes me think about what other tests we can do in GUI
to prevent regressions.

I've been wondering if it might not be possible to build a testing
framework based on NSEvent so that GUI tests could be scripted instead of
manually performed, but that's just a thought at the moment.

This is possible, but doesn't involve archives directly what we need here is a way to feed stored events into the event queue to simulate certain actions being processed. The hard part would still be to verify that the correct actions happened.